[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Mar 1 14:00:25 UTC 2019

On Friday 01 March 2019, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:

> But the attribution font is so tiny that is is barely noticeable.
> There is attribution, but it is debatable whether using a tiny font
> size makes the attribution improper or ridiculous.

No, that is not debatable and neither is the second rate attribution
Richard mentioned that many corporate data users use.

If we collectively as a community want to be taken seriously by data
users we have to stop negotiating with them about our license.  We have
to communicate clearly what we require data users to do.

If there is a majority in the community who think that the ODbL is just
a pro forma thing and that we are so happy about anyone using the data
that we don't dare voicing any requirements beyond the level of
a "pretty please" that is fine.  I don't have the impression though
that is actually the case and if it was that would be more or
less "suicide out of fear of death".  This is what can and should be
debated - not what level of weaseling around the ODbL is still
acceptable.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/