[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Mar 1 15:52:38 UTC 2019

On Friday 01 March 2019, Tomas Straupis wrote:
> I, being a mapper in the first place, do not put OSM contribution
> visible by default on webmaps I create (only after pressing data
> source link), because when you have more than one data source, it is
> not practical to show that much info.

This discussion has been done plenty of times in the past.

Short version:  Once you have a map that makes use of several different
data sources with similar intensity which are all created by open
volunteer communities like OSM from scratch we could talk about
appropriate ways of attribution - but only for specific real world
situations, not as an abstract "what if" scenario.

As long as data sources you use have been produced by people who got
paid for their work (through either taxpayer money or private
investments) the discussion is moot - that is not the same league, that
isn't even the same sport.  You give first rate attribution to OSM and
second rate attribution to everything else.

Been there, done that, not a problem:

http://maps.imagico.de/#map=3/82.576/19.421&lang=en&l=topo&r=arctic&ui=0

--
Christoph Hormann