[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 21:53:34 UTC 2019

2019-03-01, pn, 17:55 Christoph Hormann rašė:
> As long as data sources you use have been produced by people who got
> paid for their work (through either taxpayer money or private
> investments) the discussion is moot - that is not the same league, that
> isn't even the same sport.  You give first rate attribution to OSM and
> second rate attribution to everything else.

  How/why is the financing of data source part relevant?

  How would you calculate the prominence of data source to split them
into "displayed by default" and "displayed after pressing 'data
sources'"?

  While for data visualisations you could calculate number of objects
displayed, what would you do for maps and especially thematic maps?
The latter two would have a specific target group with specific
interests and a specific idea/information to be communicated which
could take a smaller area of the map. A thematic map of X with a
basemap of Y could have visually most part covered by Y, but most
important part of such a map is X.