[OSM-talk] iD invents nosquare=yes for buildings which should not be squared

Lester lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri May 10 07:33:04 UTC 2019

On 09/05/2019 23:21, Michael Reichert wrote:
> JOSM runs its validation rules only on objects modified or created in
> the current session. This seems more sensible both for experienced users
> and newbies for two reasons:
>
> - Uses don't get overwhelmed with dozens or hundreds of reports on
>    objects they did not touch.
>
> - If users follow suggestions how to fix blindly (we cannot expect an
>    unexperienced iD user to have the same knowledge as the average JOSM
>    user), they are used as living bots running validation rules on
>    randomly selected areas of the map. One might call this a hidden
>    automated edit.

Been some time since I put buildings in, but surely the the right way to
handle ADDING a square building is just to select 'box' and position 2
diagonal corners? With the logic picking up the adjacent corners of
another square building? This is a drawing problem rather than something
that gets tagged to sort out later? A row of houses simply square off an
existing wall. Editing a block of building drawn as a single block to
provide individual units needs the right tools rather than some tag
saying 'this block was not square last time I drew it'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL