[OSM-talk] Documenting controversial iD decisions

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 04:29:47 UTC 2019

I'm not sure if this should be added, but at the time how iD decided to add
presets for lifeguards facilities was controversial.

We used to have documented on the wiki and in use:
emergency=lifeguard_place
emergency=lifeguard_base
emergency=lifeguard_tower
emergency=lifeguard_platform

Which each were to be used to map different kinds of lifeguard
infrastructure on the ground.

Prompted by a request at https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/4918 it
was then decided by Bryan at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-June/037080.html that
"We have too many tags for different kinds of lifeguards.  This is too
confusing. I don’t want to have to show all these choices to iD users."

And it was decided by the iD maintainers to change the existing used and
documented tag emergency=lifeguard_place to emergency=lifeguard, and only
support that tag and none of the other types of lifeguard facilities.