[OSM-talk] Documenting controversial iD decisions

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed May 29 13:51:42 UTC 2019

I don't think any level of whataboutism
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism) will change that the
default editor on osm.org has a special (and very coveted) position.

So while I agree that in principle we should expect the same level of
care from all apps that edit OSM data via the API, that doesn't change
the status that iD has and the extra care that that requires. Not to
forget that iD is by far the most prescriptive editor of the trio of iD,
P2 and JOSM (together ~99% of all edits) and that its policies have, in
every aspect, far more effect than with any other editor.

I have to say that I'm more than a bit disappointed with, as one of the
champions of deploying iD as the default editor in 2013, where we've
ended now. While there has always been some tension between the
development team and the community, it has never amounted to the levels
of ignoring best practices and community input we have now.

Simon