[OSM-talk] Documenting controversial iD decisions

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:27:10 UTC 2019

That's a good point, let's make a list about MAPS.ME.

In the countries where there's a community to fix the mess it's not that
bad, but elsewhere like the Middle East...

- Limited set of available POI types to add and no choice for "not on the
list". Like people adding amenity=motorcycle_parking and naming it "car
parking"
-  Making multiple "this place is gone or has never existed" each time user
taps that button - many people report stuff after each map update if it's
not fixed.
- Huge changeset bboxes
- No option to properly add addr:place
- Users led into adding notes and then uploading the exact same POIs
themselves, but not closing the note
- Very complicated if not impossible to add generic notes. A few days ago
one mapper added a note about a missing road that as a "filler" had a
office=ngo named "Road" Then maps.me added this junk POI to the map...

Unlike iD, most of these seem to be an oversight. But I filed tickets at
bugs at maps.me that were acknowledged over a year ago and nothing really was
fixed. So this doing nothing is controversial to me, especially if it's a
simple fix for many of the above.

I feel bad explaining to its mostly well meaning users that maps.me is not
a great editor. For many, maps.me *is* OSM, or much worse, it is not and
they are not aware of it.

To be fair, there is one thing that's less common - users adding personal
bookmarks as POIs. I guess the percentage of maps.me mappers doing this has
converged to the amount of people who are intrinsically bad at technology
and/or reading comprehension, as there is now a warning at one stage that
everyone will see your edits.

Michał

śr., 29 maj 2019, 02:13 użytkownik Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>