[OSM-talk] Documenting controversial iD decisions

Lester lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed May 29 09:53:56 UTC 2019

On 29/05/2019 01:10, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Why should one editor be held to higher standards than others? Shouldn't
> they all be held to the same standard?

As someone who still fights to keep potlatch2 working locally then yes
all options should be judged to the same standard, and there are
defaults on all editors that simply don't work or contradict what
another editor 'defaults' to providing. Invariably I end up on
'advanced' so I can override choices given even in potlatch2.

The 'standard' should be the current tagging guidelines and NOTHING
should prevent an editor from adding changes that ARE still evolving.
lifeguard facilities are a good example of the sort of additional detail
that is still developing. So being able to add that detail is important
even if it needs manual assistance. NO editor should enforce it's own
restricted view of tagging here.

I'm still of the opinion that what I will call 'primary' keys should be
more regulated, and that the API provides the standard for key elements
like highway and building. highway=platform is a key element of my view
of the data and simply extracting 'highway' should give all of the key
material for moving around the world ... along with waterway although in
my mind navigable 'waterway' elements are simply highway as well along
with railway. So fragmenting all these across other 'new' detail tags is
simply wrong in my higher level view of the data. Pedestrian areas
linking between road, rail and water transport DO need a little more
consistent tagging as it is not at all easy currently to decide just
what IS a correct set of tags to cover all pedestrian areas? It should
not depend on which editor was used to create the data :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL