[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Sep 9 14:37:53 UTC 2019

9 Aug 2019, 10:41 by simon at poole.ch:

>  consolidate all attribution guidance in to one document

Thanks for work on that!

Unfortunately proposed version contains
major loophole that will be deliberately
exploited by organisation like Facebook
or Maps.me or Mapbox that describe
OSM data as their own.

"If OpenStreetMap data accounts for a minority (less than 50%) part of the visible map rendering, attribution with other sources on a separate page that is visible after user interaction is acceptable."

In basically any readable map less that 50% of
visible map rendering is using OSM data
or can be trivially modified to do it.

For example - claim that land area is not
from OSM data but default map state
or use alternative data for land boundaries.

----

Note that claim that this companies* will
use ridiculous loopholes is not prediction,
they are doing it already or simply lying.

Mapbox representative explicitly claimed in
mail to me that hiding attribution behind ibuttons fulfills ODBL requirements.

FB and mapsme ignored multiple reports
about their attribution violation.

*and other, but in this cases I reported their
illegal use of work of OSM mappers and got
ignored.‚Äč