[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Tomek tomek at disroot.org
Tue Feb 25 14:36:30 UTC 2020

W dniu 20-02-24 o 02:05, Mario Frasca pisze:
> se proprio insisti a non voler scrivere in Inglese, usa il Francese o
> il Tedesco, cioè un'altra lingua internazionale riconosciuta
> dall'Unione Europea, Unione di cui fa parte anche la Polonia, o
> adattati a che ciascuno ti risponda nella lingua che preferisce,
> facendo di tutto ciò una conversazione fra sordi.
Why am I forced to use difficult languages of other nations, why can't I
use the easy language of Esperanto? Everyone uses the same learning
costs when using Esperanto, they do not have the privileged ones.

W dniu 20-02-24 o 11:17, Maarten Deen pisze:
> I can not agree more with this message. I am not even trying to read
> the Polish and Esperanto mails. Yes, I am to lazy to put them in a
> translator because I think it is absolutely unnecessary. I am also not
> posting in Dutch because that will pose the same burden on others and
> I don't think that is the best action to do.
Since you don't want to put in the effort of putting the text in the
translator, maybe it's best to unsubscribe from this list?

W dniu 20-02-24 o 12:21, Martin Koppenhoefer pisze:
> there has been mention of utility. From statistical research it would seem that English is the language which has most people able to understand it (shortly before Chinese, but with significantly more usage as a second language). From a practical point of view, there are good arguments to fall back to English. This could change in the future, but it would be a long way.
> Despite the global statistics, it could well be that regionally, other languages would be more useful or “natural” than English, even if that language isn’t the mother tongue of the majority of residents in the neighboring countries (e.g. Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Mandarin, Russian ...)
Using the criterion of practicality:
Esperanto is a better choice because it takes much less time to learn it
than to learn English.
Interlingua is a better choice because it tries to be understood by
users of Romance languages.

W dniu 20-02-24 o 14:37, Mario Frasca pisze:
> As far as I can understand, Tomek is making two points, one about the
> use of the `name` tag for objects where the English language hardly
> applies (seas surrounded by language areas which do not include
> English, or only marginally so), and one about the communication
> language in this list.  This second point has attracted most
> attention, and has made it hard to keep a constructive discussion
> about the first.
And here lies the problem, do I force others to use Polish or Esperanto
in the discussion? NO! I just want everyone on the international list to
use a comfortable language and try to understand others through
translators. I try to be kind when writing in English, why do other
users of this list disrespect me?

W dniu 20-02-24 o 14:37, Mario Frasca pisze:
> People, let's try not to focus on point '2' alone. and again Tomek,
> please help us here, do choose a "top 3" language in your communications.
This is the dictatorship of the majority.

W dniu 20-02-24 o 12:53, Joseph Eisenberg pisze:
> It would be reasonable to stop using the name= tag for oceans,
> continents and international seas, if we can develop a tag which would
> specify which of the `name:<language code>=` tags should be treated as
> the primary ones. This would make it more feasible to design a
> rendering for the Baltic Sea, the Mediterranean, and other seas
> surrounding by a large number of language areas.
This tag has already been developed. Countries are marked as relations
with the tag "default_language", the program would then have to download
the tag "name:LANGUAGE" from the sea and display it on the coast. The
problem is that the seas are marked on the map as points.

W dniu 20-02-24 o 12:53, Joseph Eisenberg pisze:
> For the oceans and continents there may not be much use in a name tag,
> since these labels only make sense on a global map. A map designer or
> user can pick the language in that case.
This is my goal, what do I need to do to make changes to OSM legally?