[OSM-talk] [Tagging] Tagging the local language

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 13:15:44 UTC 2020

The main problem with tagging continents is that there is no agreement
on the number or definition.

While most English-speakers identify 7 political continents, many
people in Latin American call "America" one continent. Eurasia is
often also treated as one continent, leading to 5 continents (with
Africa, Australia and Antarctica).

Geographically, Africa is connected to Asia, with only the artificial
Suez Canal as a barrier, so 4 continents is also logical.

Naming and dividing the oceans leads to similar issues.

- Joseph Eisenberg