[OSM-talk] [Tagging] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych / names of international objects

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 23:18:40 UTC 2020

> if you dig deeper, you can see that OpenStreetMap is not only British,
> there have been some other influences as well, despite the language mostly
> looking like English

Well one could argue that any English only 'mostly looks like English' we
have enough loanwords that the whole thing's a bit of a mishmash.  I think
OSM has aimed to be worldwide for as long as that has seemed like it might
be practical (I wasn't involved in those days). These influences will
always be felt, we even have tags in American (horror of horrors 😀). I
think my main point, to the extent that I had one, is that a bit of a
facelift here and there doesn't fundamentally change the underlying bone
structure. It seems a little counterproductive when OSM's every face is a
mask that can be swapped (see openstreetmap.fr, openstreetmap.de etc.) and
we have already written the DNA in "Engl*ish*".

and you would not get a Klingon project but a British one in Klingon
> language ;-)

I suppose that's only fair considering we have had to suffer with the
inferior English translations of Shakespeare. I'm having difficulty
picturing a Klingon lawyer anyway despite being fairly sure they appeared
at one point.