[OSM-talk] Deleting template parameters copied to data items

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Jan 15 14:49:17 UTC 2020

On Wednesday 15 January 2020, pangose at riseup.net wrote:
> Hi Christoph
> Could you please comment on the wiki instead?

I could but at this point i don't think this would be very productive.
You have made it clear from the very beginning that you want to decide
on this within the realms of the OSM wiki itself without involving the
larger OSM community.  You further imply here:

> I never saw you on the wiki, so I'm not surprised to see that your
> opinion is not voiced there at all to my knowledge.

that the right of community members to participate in this discussion is
derived from activity on the wiki.

Unless you revise this approach and subject your plans to an open ended
critical evaluation of the wider OSM community independent of their
merit within the OSM wiki as a project on its own i don't see much
basis for a discussion on this.

You could follow Andy's suggestion on tagging and explain the practical
effects of your plan and the benefits you perceive it to have to the
wider community and defend it in arguments against critical feedback
(many of which have already been provided in past and current
discussions).  Explaining your plans in a way that can be understood by
mappers without a background in the technological aspects of Mediawiki
and Wikidata alone can be very helpful to understand the issues with
these.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/