[OSM-talk] Deprecated feature template in the wiki

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:56:50 UTC 2020

> On 10. Jun 2020, at 14:58, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <
> talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> "Why is the definition for the tag removed" it never had a good definition.

the former definition was

> A large water tank, typically cylindrical

personally I would also have suggested a different definition based on
function (sth like container for storing water, or actually go for liquids
and storage tank), not on size and shape (large, cylindrical), nonetheless
it is a valid definition. And in general, if the definition is constructed
in an ambiguous or otherwise unfortunate manner (or absent), it still
mustn’t be removed, it still serves mappers to form a decision whether they
want to follow the suggested alternative tags or apply this tag.

Why should someone not " (semi-)automatically change “deprecated” tags to
> something else in the database""
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct

it was rhetorical, how can you decide without knowing the meaning of all
the alternatives, in particular the tag you were looking up?

> "I also believe replacing the tag image with this one"
> From looking through history this page never had an image anyway.

no need to replace or put a picture like this, excessive. There is already
a red box with a deprecation warning throning above, the Hand says: STAY
AWAY!!!
while the formerly used exclamation mark was calling for your attention. It
is quite a change in paradigm.

Cheers Martin