[OSM-talk] Facebook acquires crowdsourced mapping company Mapillary

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 19:38:36 UTC 2020

>One of the key functionalities required for such a project to be useable in countries with developed privacy regulation is the >ability to automatically pixelate relevant parts of the images with a high degree of reliability. It took Mapillary literally years >to get that nailed down and bring it to the level of functionality it is at now.

>Which is one of the reasons why, way back when Mapillary started, I was sceptical about the sustainability because the >part of the product the detection is required don't have a real associated revenue stream (except if you a google, or ... and >can use it in one way or the other to sell ads).

>In any case doing that from scratch would be a real pain. I believe the OSC stack is now actually all OSS which would be a >far better starting point -if- sustainable funding could be built around the whole thing.

I've looked at the OSC github repo from time to time. Bit hard to see exactly what's happening but I understand it's now owned by someone other than Telenav, It _looks_ like the latest commit is client-side only. Strugging to find any server-side code there.

However, if you go back to commit 1, there appears to be a fully open-source application with a PHP back end, though I haven't analysed the code in any detail - I can just see it's got database interaction in there.

OSC I think only allows you to navigate along an uploaded set of photos, or at least it did last time I looked.

Maybe the way forward (particularly given both projects are PHP-based) would be to merge some of the stuff I've been working on in OpenTrailView with the first commit of OSC. The main question that needs to be asked for now I think is: is there sufficient interest in developing a fully open-source StreetView-like application within the OSM community, and elsewhere, to make such a project worthwhile?

In terms of the critical privacy issues, there are some interesting projects on GitHub regarding number plate and face blurring, for example
https://github.com/understand-ai/anonymizer

No idea how good it actually is, but I have a number of panoramas with both faces and number plates so I have material to test it with.

Maybe OSC have done some stuff here, haven't looked I have to admit.

Nick