[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Mar 8 19:26:05 UTC 2020

Mar 8, 2020, 12:12 by simon at poole.ch:

> I would be very very wary of doing anything that deliberately      defaces a web site without consulting with a local (to the country      the web site is in) lawyer, particularly if the message implies      wrong doing.

Illegal use of OSM data and violating terms of use of service is a clear wrong doing.

I am not a lawyer, but showing message informing about violating license and
terms of use of service seems 100% OK in case of website actually violating
OSM license.
And I fully support websites doing this.

Is there anything that would actually make it illegal, unethical or wrong in any way?
If yes I would be happy to learn about it.

It is not like they were serving tile images with lies or untrue claims. Or actually defacing
website by serving tile images with shock content like gore, nudity or extreme statements.
And I would not support doing this.