[OSM-talk] #AttributionIsNotOptional experiment on OSM France tile servers

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:49:57 UTC 2020

Simon,

I guess with small overlap you mean it's only about people who use osm.org
tiles, not people who use other services?
While that is true, the double whammy of both heavily using resources and
also not attributing does seem like a good subgroup to start with some
measures.

In the case of the OSM.org tiles, I suppose this is regulated by
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use . At first glance I didn't
see anything providing people who do not respect those terms. Am I missing
something, or is this a naive approach to the problem?
Even if the ToU's could be lacking in detail, couldn't we simply change
them? The final section talks about changes, which we seem to be able to
just do when we want to.

I would think the biggest challenge on OSMF side would be the workload for
OWG/sysadmins.

Best,
Joost

Joost Schouppe