[OSM-talk] Potlatch 3 for desktop

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Jan 2 11:46:32 UTC 2021

Steve Doerr wrote:
> Does this mean it will eventually be accessible from the Edit
> dropdown/button at openstreetmap.org, enabling one to go
> straight to the area one was looking at?

It is already - make sure Potlatch is open, and then click "Edit with Remote Control" on the dropdown. You can set this as your preferred editor. (This doesn't work in Safari because of a long-standing Safari bug; in other browsers it's fine, unless you have something installed that squelches the port.)

Dave F wrote:
> Is the a way to start it at a specific location? Parameters on
> the .exe's command line maybe?

There's no command-line parameters, but you can paste anything which looks like it contains a lon and lat into the search box (e.g. a URL copied from osm.org), and Potlatch will jump straight there.

You can also use the Leaflet tricks of shift-drag to zoom into a rectangular area, and shift-click the +/- buttons to zoom in three levels at once. And of course there's the Bookmarks menu.

> Zoomed in 13 clicks & the data starts to download. If over a
> heavily mapped area, it turns to sludge making it difficult to
> pan & zoom. Could you make it 14 or maybe even 15 (which
> I think is iD's display level)? Also to stop displaying data if
> zoomed back out making panning over large distances
> possible

It currently shows data at z15 upwards, and the overview map at z14 and below. z15 is useful in rural areas so I wouldn't want to disable it, but I'll look at making it a user-defined preference.

> Is the mouse zoom wheel active?

Should be active on Windows but not on Mac.

Richard