[OSM-talk] Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:56:40 UTC 2021

Wow, thanks to everyone who made this happen!

It looks like the hosting costs are provided by OpenStreetMap-France  who
also host the Humanitarian style.

The style is on github, so if anyone has ideas, like adding contour lines,
it looks like new issues and PRs can be opened here:
https://github.com/cyclosm/cyclosm-cartocss-style/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

The map in Portland, Oregon is much more useful than the current
OpenCycleMap since it better shows the types of infrastructure that we have
(lots of "neighborhood greenways" with sharrows and low speed limits where
cars are allowed but deprioritized):
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=portland%2C%20oregon#map=14/45.5348/-122.6411&layers=Y

Routes are often only on paper or barely signed, so focusing on actual
infrastructure is an improvement.

-- Joseph Eisenberg

 (The French community is making us all look cheap in comparison. :-) The
USA needs to step up by hosting a localized style. Perhaps the German
community could host OpenTopoMap on the main page?)