[OSM-talk] Cyclosm - new map layer at OSM website, congratulations!

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Jan 14 21:06:23 UTC 2021

Le 14/01/2021 à 18:56, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :
> Wow, thanks to everyone who made this happen!
>
> It looks like the hosting costs are provided by OpenStreetMap-France
>  who also host the Humanitarian style.
>
> The style is on github, so if anyone has ideas, like adding contour
> lines, it looks like new issues and PRs can be opened here:
> https://github.com/cyclosm/cyclosm-cartocss-style/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> The map in Portland, Oregon is much more useful than the current
> OpenCycleMap since it better shows the types of infrastructure that we
> have (lots of "neighborhood greenways" with sharrows and low speed
> limits where cars are allowed but deprioritized):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=portland%2C%20oregon#map=14/45.5348/-122.6411&layers=Y
>
> Routes are often only on paper or barely signed, so focusing on actual
> infrastructure is an improvement.
>
> -- Joseph Eisenberg
>
>  (The French community is making us all look cheap in comparison. :-)
> The USA needs to step up by hosting a localized style. Perhaps the
> German community could host OpenTopoMap on the main page?)

Yes Joseph, CyclOSM rendering is hosted by OSM France, like the
humanitarian style, FR style and many others*.

Technically, we have :

- a tile server running on a dedicated server donated and hosted by the
free foundation (free is a large ISP in France)

- a tile cache running in a VM hosted by Rezopole who manages a internet
exchange point in Lyon

OSM France servers and the hosted serices are listed on the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Serveurs_OpenStreetMap_France

This list should grow in the next weeks with new servers donated by OVH
with more power to handle tile rendering :)

The "cost" for us is close to zero. We upgraded some servers thru a call
for donation 2 years ago.

The main cost is human free time ;)

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France