[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Mostafa Ahangarha ahangarha at riseup.net
Fri Jul 2 06:40:34 UTC 2021

On 7/2/21 2:36 AM, Li Yaqo wrote:
> you said "Is there a final decision between "A/B" and no-name?
> Why did you exclude the option "keep it as is, keep it in peace" just
> like what the moderators said once, I remember it was like "the 'name'
> tag should be left in peace and you're free to edit the 'name:fa' only"
> Why is this so much force to push the "الخليج العربي" name away? and
> force the Iranian name in?

If there is any force, it is by those who want to impose a name with
thousands years of history away and push what they forge and push in
last 50 years. I requested to not go in this path. If there is any
vandalism, it is by those who try to wipe history and fake a new one.
What is happening on OSM is just a tiny example of that. So don't mess
up with history.

There is no dispute. Persian Gulf is an internationally recognized name
with a long history even in the newly created countries around the gulf.
We are not in a situation that there is no basis to call this gulf and
as the result we approach what people call it on the ground. What you
refer as dispute, is history manipulation and the actual vandalism.

This issue is not something we can or should resolve in OSM. Leave it to
politicians to bring it to some conclusion. At the moment, Persian Gulf
is the recognized and established name for this gulf. Till the time
there is a significant change in it, I can kindly accept leaving the
name blank to just reduce tension. Still the English name should follow
the historical and internationally recognized name.

We are trying to be positive and work towards finding some solution
which does justice to the issue. If you want to continue pushing and
blaming more, we are not going to continue this way.

--
Regards,
Mostafa Ahangarha