[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:28:29 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 2. Juli 2021 um 11:46 Uhr schrieb Li Yaqo <iata.idp.iq at gmail.com>:

> Dear Martin,
>
> First of all as I believe you already know, OSM is not a place for
> historical maps or historical events, there is a map for it, it's called
> openhistoricalmap.org, the names on OSM should be the one who is used
> currently, and named like you're on that area. You can read it all in the
> OSM Wiki if you didn't.

I am well aware, and I can tell you, in German the name is "Persischer
Golf", in Italian it is "Golfo Persico" and in French "Golfe Persique".
>From what I know, in English it is commonly "Persian Gulf". This is not
about the historical situation but about the term that is used today, by
the people and media in these countries. Nobody is forcing them to use this
name, you can use any name you want, and for simplicity and by habit,
everybody there continues to use this same name that is common for
centuries.

> 2nd of all, although I don't usually reply to claims, but I'm replying
> here with a good faith that you may not know this information about that
> part of the world (if you're not local there)

I am not local, and have not been there, but it is such an important water
body that is spoken and written so often about, that I am well used to the
name that is used to refer to it (here, where I live, and where German,
Italian and French are much more important than in the Gulf region).

> You said "Iranian name“ is the historic name for thousands of years up to
> today" is quite not accurate, the name dispute was for thousands of years.
> The historic name of that gulf is "Gulf of Basra" which is still used in
> some countries like Turkey for example. see (
> https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basra_Körfezi).
> Here is few historical maps if you're interested to take a look at,

There was a research conducted and out of thousands of historic maps, only
a handful had "Arabian Gulf".

> Also, you said something like "it's the International name, and the
> official name by the UN" this is quite not true, The UN has no official
> name for it. And the US Navy who's in the international waters of the gulf
> uses "Arabian Gulf" naming. Alongside with all of the Non Arabs who live in
> the region uses the name "Arabian Gulf". So if we want to follow OSM rules
> about naming and using the on-ground name we should go with the one used
> literally on the ground.

If we declare the UN usage a unimportant, US Navy should probably matter
less?

I'm staying neutral in this matter as I stated in my previous take on it
> here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2021-June/086683.html
>
> So therefore I see the option A/B is fair for both parties to stop this
> issue.

great to read it, I also stay neutral in the matter of the "name" tag, if
the common name cannot be agreed on, we leave it void,

Cheers,
Martin