[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:37:53 UTC 2021

This has been a long discussion reflecting different opinions and
references, some inspired by religious, historical as political motives.
A reflection of how difficult it can be on some issues like names and
boundaries, issues on which "the ground truth" as described by OSM and
our wiki proves it lacks a proper and complete definition for these issues.
The time has come to find a compromise of how to proceed and if
necessary adopt some definitions or descriptions even in the OSM wiki to
narrow or avoid these issues in the future.

I didn't participate in the discussion so far but read all the mails and
all the reference sources listed. So if you allow me let me try to conclude:

1. What key:name to use for this water body ?  Our wiki states that in
case of doubt "the ground truth", meaning the habits of how to name a
natural feature by the locals should prevail. But first of all, what
water body are we talking about, the EEZ's or the international waters ?
When it comes to the international waters there are no locals. No one
lives there neither are the waters ruled or owned by any particular
country.  So international waters follow the most common name used by
the international "world wide" community. There is no better "official
and authoritative" organisation to represent the international community
as the UN.  So the most recent authoritative resource gazetting the name
for the international waters should be used, being "Persian Gulf", in
the key:name in English as the international language used. key:alt_name
can be used for alternative names, used by some minorities in the "world
community", so "Arabian Gulf;Gulf of Iran;Gulf of Basra" can be
alternative names for the international waters. The resource I refer to:
"Maritime Space: Maritime Zones and Maritime Delimitation" provided by
the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal
Affairs, United Nations
(https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/persian_gulf.htm).

2. What key:name to use for the Iranian preference ? Local preferences
can be applied to the waters or part of the water body controlled by a
local authority.  So for the EEZ under Iranian jurisdiction the name
should contain the official name as gazetted by the Iranian authorities:
Persian Gulf written in Farsi. EEZ's of other countries, the Arabian
countries can use name:Arabian Gulf or others in Arabic script for their
respective EEZ's. The nodes or relations containing these names are
located in or delineated to the EEZ's of those particular countries.

3. Translations. All translations should be a literal or applicable
translation as the term described in the name fields. So if I consult
any translated name of the international waters with the name "Persian
Gulf" it reads "Persian Gulf" in a local language and script. Same
applies to any translations for the alt_name field.

4. Alternative name fields. official_name for international water bodies
are those used and gazetted by the UN, they should be the same as the
key:name so should not be used for international waters.  official_name
can be used if the name by the locals most commonly used in that EEZ is
different from the official name. old_name can be used for names used
for these water bodies (historical) from historical maps from before the
existence of the UN.

We should not avoid anyone from changing the name fields. Vandalism is
not allowed and we as a community, the world community should prevent
and revert any vandalism, if it continues with the help of the DWG. So
any name change should be accompanied with an appropriate reference to
an authoritative source, for international waters this should be a
direct resource or derived from the UN, for EEZ official gazetteers or
databases from a country, for old_name applicable references to
historical maps although I prefer not to store these in OSM, we have
Open Historical Map for that.

The wiki about what "ground truth" means for disputed or sometimes
non-tangible or physically verifiable items like names and boundaries
should be improved, extended and clarified on the wiki.

Finally I wish to remember everyone that there are very few "rules" in
OSM, we have guidelines, "ground truth" is a guideline not a rule, we
are a free and open community. So if anyone feels to invent another name
tag to express or clarify "disputed" names or boundaries other then a
note field, feel free but find consensus from the community about it
before you change it or start a tagging war.

Please, Ebrahim, you brought up the issue, summarize and conclude so we
have a way forward.

Greetings,

Bert Araali