[OSM-talk] Tracking the editing time

Oliver Simmons oliversimmo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 13:19:19 UTC 2021

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 at 11:27, Alexander Zatko via talk
<talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Hi all, the code of conduct I found does not seem to ban product announcements, so here we go…
>

> A new JOSM plugin is available that does two things (for now):
>
> • automatically tracks and displays the time a user spends editing in the application,
>
> • makes a record of the editing time for a changeset in Rovas - an application of the community economic system NEO
>
> The main benefit the plugin delivers is that the OSM community gains a new parameter for measuring work of volunteer mappers.
> Today we can count changesets, or data objects created, but not actual time spent editing.
> Having that measure could be interesting to the individual mappers, but might also help improve the flow of funds into the OSM ecosystem from
> sponsors and other sources, by providing them with easily undersood measure of the volunteer effort.

I don't have a clue (or care much) about the virtual currency/Rovas
thing, but this would be extremely useful if it can record volunteer
hours *and prove them*.

How are hours proven? Is it just a trust thing?
If it's possible to prove mapping hours then I am for sure going to use this.

--
-Oliver Simmons (GoodClover)