[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Ebrahim Nejati enejati at mail.um.ac.ir
Wed Jul 7 13:06:00 UTC 2021

Abdullah Abdulrhman <abdullahOSM at outlook.com> writes:

> Second: The sabotage that occurred was very large, and some of it was
> not recovered until weeks later, and this caused many effects, as the
> navigation programs associated with OSM, such as OsmAnd and others,

I know it's a bit late but I'd like to give an update about the current
state of this incident.

After being raised in here, OSM Iran community *just* found about what
has happened. One of our community members, Sosha, did an extensive
investigation about the source and cause of the sabotage. He finally
found that the responsible user [1] had also blocked some major highways
in Iran which caused the malfunction of several routing services except
one, Balad. -- These routing services all use OSM data as base. Also the
responsible user had used a custom imagery to Google [2] which was
hosted in Balad website.

Sosha posted the outcome of his investigation in a blog post [3]. It was
immensely circulated in Twitter and Balad noticed and responded. It
has been said that the response user was working for Balad to edit OSM
but these actions was on his own. According to Balad, he is now fired
due to his actions. [4]

Balad now is going to make a closer connection with OSM Iran
community to avoid further actions. Also, the story was covered in major
Iranian tech websites [5][6] as well as newspaper [7]

I hope we can settle the Persian Gulf issue as soon as possible to avoid
such possible actions in future.

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/user/10610287
[2]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/98345359
[3]: https://vrgl.ir/Uvsz9