[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Li Yaqo iata.idp.iq at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 12:56:40 UTC 2021

Greetings,

The discussion about this matter has been going on for almost two months in
100 emails. Lots of details and lots of stats, facts, information, and
sources were shared and discussed deeply between the Arabs and the
Iranians. I see nothing new in the recent emails, just basic knowledge
information we all already know.

After studying this case deeply and reading all the emails and spending
tens of hours reading the facts  about this situation, I can say the
solutions for this matter can be summarized in only 2 solutions:

Solution 1:
Keep the tags without changing.
(This means we keep the tags in the stable version before the start of the
vandalism chaos)
The tags will stay like this:
______________________
Name= الخليج العربي
Alt_name= خليج فارس
Name:en= Persian Gulf
Name:ar= الخليج العربي
Name:fa= خليج فارس
______________________
Pros: Keep the things as is the stable version.
Cons: This might not end the vandalism edits from the nationalist vandals
in the Arab countries, and there will probably be even more vandalism as an
act of revenge if we go with this option, but it's an if.

Solution 2:
Change the 'name tag to have both languages at the same time
(This means we change only the 'name' tag by adding the Iranian name
alongside the already existing one)

The tags will be like this:
______________________
Name= الخليج العربي / خليج فارس
Name:en= Persian Gulf
Name:ar= الخليج العربي
Name:fa= خليج فارس
______________________
Pros: This will definitely stop the vandalism edits when finally the
Iranian name is in the general name tag. This solution was tested before in
the Caspian Sea, and it worked when the Iranian name was in with the other
languages in the 'name' tag.
Cons: I don't see any.

There was an opinion that was discussed which is removing the 'name' tag
entirely. This is not a solution, this option was chosen and tested before
in many areas and failed in almost every single one of them, the
Mediterranean Sea for example. Removing the 'name' tag will conclude by
adding it again by another user who does not know about this whole problem
and vandalism issue, and this will definitely start the vandalism campaign
again.

As a neutral opinion, as I stated before, I suggest going with the 2nd
solution just to let the area in peace and stop the vandalism.
This is not obeying and bowing to the vandal's demands that "they will
continue until the Iranian name is in", no and never, this is what I see is
fair for all and will stop the headache.

I want to hear the Arabs' opinion on this solution, do they accept adding
the Iranian name next to the Arabic name just to close this case and sum it
up for good?

Regards,
Li Yaqo