[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

ndrw6 ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 12:25:49 UTC 2021

On 26/07/2021 09:37, Simon Poole wrote:
>  > It would be good if you could provide specific feedback what
> doesn't/didn't work for you on the Vespucci issue tracker
> https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues (pls indicate
> the version you were using).

I still see large-scale mapping without a PC the main strength of
Vespucci. Nothing wrong with that - there will be many users looking
exactly for that.

I tried the tool again today, so it is a new version on a new hardware.
The performance feels better (could be just the hardware upgrade) but
panning/zooming/UI is still choppy especially with more data loaded.

I don't particularly like the start up. Ideally I would like all map
data in my area of choice already downloaded on start up, like in
Maps.me, filtered by a zoom level and object type, with an option to
update a region on demand. In the field, I rarely have a fast internet
connection (sometimes none at all) so downloading data can be painful.

The main issue for me is mapping itself. The tool allows everything to
be edited, which is great for an arm-chair mapping session, but when on
the go I only really need:
1) adding a node with tags
2) adding/editing tags of a node/way/relations (no need to access way
nodes without tags)
3) adding a quick local note/photo for later (no need to upload it to OSM)

However, these operations should be streamlined (easy navigation, easy
selection of objects, as few clicks as possible needed for editing, one
hand operation). In particular, I don't want selecting any way nodes and
I don't want any geometry editing.

Editing in such mode doesn't have to be perfect, it could be fixed (for
example geometry) afterwards in Vespucci or even uploaded as-is and
fixed in a separate session.

I see Vespucci already has a "simple mode" but it appears to only differ
with a "+" button being present. This direction could perhaps be
explored further.

There may be unintended factual errors above - I have very little
experience with Vespucci.

-ndrw6