[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Jul 26 12:45:24 UTC 2021

Am 26.07.2021 um 14:25 schrieb ndrw6:
> On 26/07/2021 09:37, Simon Poole wrote:
>>  > It would be good if you could provide specific feedback what
>> doesn't/didn't work for you on the Vespucci issue tracker
>> https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues (pls
>> indicate the version you were using).
>
> I still see large-scale mapping without a PC the main strength of
> Vespucci. Nothing wrong with that - there will be many users looking
> exactly for that.
>
> I tried the tool again today, so it is a new version on a new
> hardware. The performance feels better (could be just the hardware
> upgrade) but panning/zooming/UI is still choppy especially with more
> data loaded.
>
> I don't particularly like the start up. Ideally I would like all map
> data in my area of choice already downloaded on start up, like in
> Maps.me, filtered by a zoom level and object type, with an option to
> update a region on demand. In the field, I rarely have a fast internet
> connection (sometimes none at all) so downloading data can be painful.

You can completely have offline data if you want to, currently you need
to update the whole file (there was a GSoC project this year for
incremental updating, that nobody picked up.

> The main issue for me is mapping itself. The tool allows everything to
> be edited, which is great for an arm-chair mapping session, but when
> on the go I only really need:
> 1) adding a node with tags
> 2) adding/editing tags of a node/way/relations (no need to access way
> nodes without tags)
> 3) adding a quick local note/photo for later (no need to upload it to
> OSM)
>
> However, these operations should be streamlined (easy navigation, easy
> selection of objects, as few clicks as possible needed for editing,
> one hand operation). In particular, I don't want selecting any way
> nodes and I don't want any geometry editing.

Vespucci has had a tag only editing mode (in which you can still add new
things) since March 2009, aka since its first Version, long before I had
anything to do with it (BTW since 15.2 there are mode specific launcher
shortcuts
http://vespucci.io/help/en/15.2.0%20Release%20notes/#support-mode-specific-launcher-shortcuts).
If you want to further reduce what is displayed you can use either of
the two filter modes.

Simon