[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 07:41:19 UTC 2021

Am Do., 17. Juni 2021 um 22:28 Uhr schrieb John Whelan <
jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>:

> and the problem for "Bruxelles -Brussel " is it is very difficult for end
> users to search for  the name.

You can (probably should), use several tags at the same time, e.g.
name="Bruxelles -Brussel", name:fr=Bruxelles and name:nl=Brussel
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1635651356

> We had the same problem in Ottawa with street names.  "rue Slater Street"
> which is more or less what is on some street signs.  Other street signs
> have something like just "Slater"
>
> I think we now have name:en Slater street, name:fr rue Slater

how do you deal with "name", leave it empty? Have both names concatenated?

Cheers,
Martin