[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

pangoSE pangose at riseup.net
Mon Jun 28 08:42:56 UTC 2021

I agree. We need a viable way to protect objects like MediaWiki offers.
That begs for having administrators also and a whole working voting
structure which we currently do not have. OSM seems to be structurally
in some kind of infancy.

I think it is time to evolve both the community structures and the API
in a more professional manner.

Currently, the community is still kind of weird because we have a wiki,
but it is not used as a place where decisions are made. The working
groups are not transparent, and it is unclear to me why we even have
them at all. This is all very confusing to me because I'm used to
everything being transparent when working in Wikimedia projects.

Let's take the DWG as an example: they state this: "We use email, a wiki
and IRC for regular communication and occasionally produce resolutions
or documents" Where are the public logs? Nowhere?

They do make a quarterly activity report though
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Data_Working_Group/DWG_Activity_Report_Q1_2021

This seems to be in a locked wiki where I can't make an account and
start discussing the content. Weird.

The whole infrastructure and organization of the OSM database seems 10
years outdated to me. We need to fix that too. I saw a position for a
senior systems architect a while back and Andy made some kind of report
of the current infrastructure also.

Cheers