[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Li Yaqo iata.idp.iq at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 14:31:56 UTC 2021

Dear Frederik and OSM Mappers,

After studying this case deeply, I see the best option to solve this issue
is solution "A/B" and here is why,
The Mediterranean Sea had the same exact problem when the name was
disputed, and all parties concluded that the best thing is just to remove
the 'name' tag and keep the specific language name tags. While it worked
and finally there was some "peace" then it started all over again, and the
general 'name' tag was readied again.
After studying the Arabic/Persian Gulf situation I see vandalism,
profanity, And whole chaos all from the Iranian side, So I believe the
Iranian name will be added again over and over if we set the 'name' tag to
empty.
The reason I suggested the name "A/B" because it will have the Iranian
name, so this will probably stop this chaos. Having the name in "A/B" will
definitely stop it since the same thing happened in the Caspian Sea, and
the dispute was over when the Iranian name was in the general name tag with
the other languages as "A/B".
So if we want to solve this, we need to see other examples of how it was
handled, empty 'name' tag failed, "A/B" name tag worked and worked in the
Caspian Sea, and we don't see more Iranian vandalism in that sea.
I hope both parties will agree on this, we need to hear from the Arabs and
the Iranians about this.

Regards,
Li Yaqo.