[OSM-talk] Recent spikes in the use of road key

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 20:06:44 UTC 2021

In regard to road_name found another user
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/rennicm
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/rennicm>. Also seems to be left over
quality issue with imported data from 3 to 5 years ago.  I've send a
comment to change it.

Numbers in Australia are limited though, doesn't explain the recent
spike of about 800.
Will do some more research on the Taiwan issues, try to contact the
Taiwan community maybe they know more.

Greetings,

Bert Araali

On 03/03/2021 22:34, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vv <https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vv>
>>
>> I could trace it back to user cmi3j89d9o <cmi3j89d9o> in Taiwan.
>> His/her edits fit about the time-frame in the Taginfo Chronology.
>>
>> Still working on the same in Melbourne / Sydney area in Australia.
>>
>> On 03/03/2021 22:08, Pierre Béland wrote:
>>> I presently go through a list of 107 highways who have with both
>>> highway and road with the same  classification.  I validate each and
>>> remove the road tag.
>>>

>>> Pierre
>>>

>>> Le mercredi 3 mars 2021 13 h 38 min 30 s UTC−5, Pierre Béland
>>> <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> a écrit :
>>>

>>> Looking again at the chronology, we see that road=yes is often
>>> combined with the key highway. These road=yes could be removed.
>>>
>>> This Overpass query shows 706 such ways.
>>> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vp <https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vp>
>>>

>>> Pierre
>>>

>>> Le mercredi 3 mars 2021 13 h 20 min 29 s UTC−5, Bert -Araali- Van
>>> Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>

>>> Seems to proceed in the same extend with the key road_name.
>>> All values are in an Asian script, I presume Chinese, geograhically
>>> concentrated in Taiwan and Melbourne, Australia.
>>>
>>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#overview
>>> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#overview>
>>>
>>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#chronology
>>> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#chronology>
>>>
>>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#map
>>> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/road_name#map>
>>>
>>> On 03/03/2021 20:33, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:
>>>
>>> Just the key "road=*", search for road in Taginfo tab KEY.
>>> In Taginfo I searched for the key, got a long list with all kinds of
>>> keys containing the word "road", then selected just "road" from the
>>> list returned by taginfo.
>>>
>>> If you go to chronology tab you see the spikes very clearly.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Bert Araali
>>>
>>> On 03/03/2021 20:23, Pierre Béland wrote:
>>> Hi Bert,
>>>
>>> please, give us more details about the tags you spotted in taginfo
>>> as not valid, not using the highway key.
>>>
>>> From there, it should be easy for us to propose an Overpass query.
>>>

>>> Pierre
>>>

>>> Le mercredi 3 mars 2021 12 h 18 min 37 s UTC−5, Bert -Araali- Van
>>> Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com>
>>> <mailto:bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I was recently working on some local proposals and, through taginfo,
>>> saw some recent spikes in the use of the non approved and
>>> discouraged use of the road key (should be highway).
>>> The spikes, due to their amount and short time-frame in which they
>>> appear seem to be indicating unnoticed mass or automated edits.
>>> Do they need closer attention / investigation and action to revert ?
>>>
>>> 1. Jan 2017 - spike of +-500, seems to be reverted by +-300 by Mar 2017
>>> 2. Mar 2019 - spike of +-400, not reverted