[OSM-talk] Informal car parking along streets (country/mountain areas)

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Sun Mar 14 02:12:03 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 07:50:52 +0100
Alessandro Sarretta <alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've found some parking areas (like this one
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/8503092725, here in Mapillary
> https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/GVS1ivHYCWh7feAnZqjFeA) that have
> been added in OSM. They are actually simple widenings of the road
> (without any sign) where people usually park to get to some nearby
> path (in mountainous areas in this case).
> I wonder if there is a tag to indicate whether a car park is formally
> such (with horizontal and/or vertical signage) or if it has an
> "informal" meaning, like the examples given.
> I see that something similar is used (but not documented) for bikes:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/bicycle_parking=informal
> Do you have any suggestions/experience on whether to include these
> areas as parking spaces, or how to possibly tag them?

The tag "informal=yes" can be used to mark anything that's been created
through use rather than through deliberate design.  It's most often
used for informal trails, but it also works for informal roads,
informal parking areas, and other things.

For roadside parking like that, I'll map it as a node rather than an
area because the extent of the parking area isn't well-defined.

--
Mark