[Tile-serving] [OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and mod_tile have moved to git

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Apr 4 03:05:15 UTC 2013

> From: Kai Krueger [mailto:kakrueger at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [Tile-serving] [OSM-dev] osm2pgsql and mod_tile have moved
> to git
>
> On 04/03/2013 01:23 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> This bit needs discussion.  I don't think it's a great idea saying
> >> just "OpenStreetMap" since there's no such thing that could hold the
> >> copyright of the code. The foundation doesn't ask for copyright
> >> assignment in source code, so it couldn't go here either.
> >>
> >> What do other projects do in this situation? Just name the
> maintainer(s)?
> > I personally don't like naming maintainers, because deciding when to
> > add or remove people's names is a difficult challenge.  Does a typo
> > fix count?  How many lines need to be added or removed?  Etc, etc.
> >
> > What about "mod_tile contributors"?
> Do the names and dates you add to this copyright header have any real
> legal meaning? Or would the courts / lawyers in a dispute look through
> the entire history of the repository anyway to see who exactly added
> what when to determine if there is a legitimate copyright claim?
>
> If the later, then at least to me using "mod_tile contributors" seems
> fine. But I have no strong feelings on this either way.

The FSF advise that the authors be listed and "if several people helped
write the code, use all their names"[1]

My understanding is that there are some scenarios where it matters in a
lawsuit. Additionally, I am not positive that you can distribute without
listing the authors.

For my code I have a Contributing.md file that states the license and if you
want to be added to the credits list for that file, include that in your
pull request or in a separate pull request.

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html