[Tile-serving] osm-carto benchmarking attempts

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun May 12 09:40:43 UTC 2013

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that it's a PITA to get the openstreetmap-carto
stylesheets compiled.

I've downloaded and set up a clean vagrant vm image for 12.10 64
server, and written these notes. I hope they help.

===

sudo apt-get install npm # pulls in nodejs as a dependency
sudo apt-get install nodejs-legacy # fix binary naming issue with
Ubuntu packaged version of node
npm install carto # installs to current working directory, in a
directory called "node_modules"
npm install millstone # ditto

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto
sudo apt-get install unzip
sudo apt-get install gdal-bin # for ogr2ogr

cd openstreetmap-carto
./get-shapefiles.sh
cd ..

./node_modules/carto/bin/carto openstreetmap-carto/project.mml >
openstreetmap-carto.xml

===

I'd say it's about twice as complicated as strictly necessary, since
you shouldn't really need to download the shapefiles just to compile
the stylesheet, but hey-ho for now.

Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll try again.

Cheers,
Andy