[HOT] Meeting with WB about MapMaker?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 23:39:48 GMT 2012

Good point ... I'm not sure that anyone involved has actually tried such a merge, or even lighter weight data munging exercises.

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

>________________________________

    be to have them go in practice through a little merging exercise of
    a freed external dataset with existing OSM data. Maybe they would
    realize how complex this is. And how important the context data used
    in crowdsourcing input is. (Assuming of course that they really mean
    what they say about free data).

>- If they only care about not getting sued, how does a potential
    "complicity in abuse of dominant position" sound? (In addition and
    after all the problems Gogol has had in respecting the intellectual
    property of others, of course. They have a significant track record
    of misappropriating it).

>See e.g. :
>http://www.numerama.com/magazine/21483-google-condamne-en-france-une-tres-bonne-decision.html
>http://www.ecrans.fr/Google-Maps-condamne-en-France,13992.html
>
>Translated by themselves:
>http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=fr&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.numerama.com/magazine/21483-google-condamne-en-france-une-tres-bonne-decision.html
>http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecrans.fr%2FGoogle-Maps-condamne-en-France%2C13992.html
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Jean-Guilhem
>

>Le 02/02/2012 23:38, Mikel Maron a écrit :
>Is that too much to ask Google? They don't take requests....
>>
>>PS Yes they have lawyers. But not ones that care about open data, only about not getting sued. Clearly no one who knew any of this in practice was consulted for the MoU. But yes, talking about open data the concepts can be obscure ... I tried to illustrate the realities with some mapping stories: http://brainoff.com/weblog/2012/02/02/1756
>>

>>PPS I don't think that's the root cause for the Bank (though it's clearly something OSM needs to improve. note, I don't think GMM has the best UI either). Rather, I think they are seduced by the association with the most powerful company in the world, which is sexy.
>>

>>* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
>>

>>>________________________________

While there are several clear solutions that are unrealistic to propose in your meeting, I would just like to see a tool that allows users to to export data most of the data that they create in Google Maps.

>>>Is that too much to ask? I can see that a technical barrier would be an way to differentiate between original user data entry and modifications of existing data. If someone edits a big interchange with a 5 year history of 99% proprietary edits, Google isn't going to give that data back. But if you are mapping completely new roads and POIs in the developing world ... you should be able to do a significant export.
>>>

>>>PS I don't understand how the WB got itself into this, aren't they all lawyers? How can OSM make it clearer that there is a cost to using proprietary data? It has a toxic touch.
>>>

>>>PPS it seems like better UX and design at OSM could be the root cause of them working with Google in the first place — does this seem accurate? Or are there deeper architectural/technical/business reasons that WB is going with Google?

>>>On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Mikel Maron wrote:
>>>
>>>They're talking about me. Don't get too excited. I'll probably have a lot more to say soon. Would love to hear some feedback ...

                                    minutes ago:

                                    the World Bank's innovation
                                    practice, said
                                    down with people from [...] the