[HOT] Launching the hot mailing list in French

Severin Menard severin.menard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:32:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

There is a openstreetmap.org hot list now for French speaking people who do
not have enough English to participate to the hot (English) list, and they
are numerous not only in France (I think well-known to be one of the worst
English speaking countries :) but also in Africa and in the Caribbeans.
This would allow people from various OSM communities especially in
developing countries, to raise their voices and interact more (or quicker,
because basically writing in foreign language takes more time) with the
HOT/OSM community regarding the humanitarian and development topics. So
far, when we wanted to interact on these topics in French, we had to make
emails with a long list of talk-country lists, which is not really
appropriate as it duplicates the same messages in various talk lists.

This already exists for the dev lists: dev is in English by default, and
there is a French and an Italian one. As I guess (I did not check) they do,
there will be interactions between the lists when it seems useful after a
brainstorm, around an action, a methodology or a new "discovery"; the
people that can interact in the two languages can bridge the lists. If
someone has experience on this, please tell.

I would suggest the Spanish native speakers from the HOT community to
create also a list as the community of native Spanish speakers in the world
is twice more numerous than French. It would help during crisis like the
ones in Bolivia or in Chile last year.

For the suffix, a quick survey showed that a huge majority preferred
hot-francophone rather than hot-fr or hot-francais, basically because it
states clearly it is about the language and not the country of origin, and
this does count, especially for the people from former French colonies.

For those interested, you can subscribe here:

I translated the description from English, just added a bit at the end
because the English text only talks about crisis response, and does not
mention development, what should be rectified. The translation in English
would be: "Apart from crisis response, the list helps HOT to prepare
resources and improve its response, but also to discuss and set an OSM map
for development. For this as well, stakeholders and population can send
messages on the list (questions, opinions, requests, discussions...)".

Sincerely,

Severin