[HOT] Task 661 (Ebola, DRC), road vs path

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 17:47:52 UTC 2014

Dan,

Interesting, and it kept me busy for a while.

Can I say first of all that I wouldn't want to lose anyone in an
argument over this one. The tree cover is too dense to be sure of
anything, and if it was me mapping it, I'd actually put an additional
road in extending to the East & South from the isolated section of
residential road - I think it goes through the small deforested areas &
joins with the other sections of highway.

All of the buildings I can see are of rectangular construction & judging
from the reflections I guess they have corrugated iron roofs. The
materials for these buildings were brought in by motor vehicle. The
clearings appear to have been created with motor vehicles. It would not
be a comfortable ride, but I would mark most of the highways as
residential / unclassified. One way or another the isolated section of
residential highway needs to be connected to the rest of the highway
network by something a motor vehicle (4x4) could navigate along.

I'm looking with JOSM without the benefit of the border to a task square
so my next comment may be 'outside the box', but the highway lengths
also need to connect to the other length of highway to the West - there
is a small cloud partially obscuring the route, but there is a route
visible for most of it & a straight line length of highway may be needed
for part of it through the cloud - it must be there somewhere!

Hope this helps

Nick

On 12/10/14 17:47, Dan S wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just having a mini discussion with another mapper about road vs path.
> We're both familiar with the Highway Tagging Africa scheme, but we
> drew different conclusions about the particular routes we were looking
> at.
>
> So it'd be handy if anyone wants to comment on road-vs-path for this location:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/-0.32568/20.94023
>
> And who knows, maybe it would be suitable to use as an example for
> future mappers, since we didn't intuitively come to the same
> conclusions.
>
> Thanks
> Dan

Nick

Volunteer 'Tallguy' for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tallguy

Treasurer, website & Bonus Ball admin for
http://www.6thswanleyscouts.org.uk/ (treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk
<mailto:treasurer at 6thswanleyscouts.org.uk>)