[HOT] HOTOSM #699: About identification of plantations (HOTOSM #699: About identification of plantations in Africa (as for cassava, manioc)

S Volk svolk2 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:55:47 UTC 2014

Hi everybody, I'm contacing you to suggest an OSM wiki note about the identification of major plantations in Africa from sattelite imagery, for HOTOSM requests.
I realise this need, for example, for "cassava" plantation (manioc). It's one of Africa's major rural production, and it's everywhere in sattelite imageries we are mapping  (as in Sierra Leone's HOTOSM).
But I found that many mappers, even experienced, don't know well how to identify it (nor softwares do it yet), mistaking it in landcovers as mud, wood, scrub, grassland, etc., or mapping alltogether with forests.
In the front page HOTOSM instruction note for https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa, in the picture used there to show the type of Africa's "secondary highway tagging" (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Secondary-highway-sierra-leone-1.png) there is a remarkable cassava plantation, at the right side and in the bottom. This plantation is characterised by 1 to 1,5m rounded small plants in irregular rows, sometimes following river margins, even if dry, other times in isolated farm allotments. Its also important for mapping accesses to isolated small buildings, because it allows footpaths through it everywhere.
Wouldn't it be worth if you may put a note about cassava plantation (perhaps adding a note in the /Highway_Tag_Africa?Maybe in the same picture you use in Highway_Tag_Africa, since it's a good aerieal view of cassava, and it's the only link quoted people see in the front page instructions for HOTOSM #699?
I think it would be very usefull for everybody, also for the others Africa's HOTOSM.
If you want, could take a look also at this aerial photo of cassava and its footnote (or others): [http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/bangweulu-floodplain-zambia-aerial-view-of-high-res-stock-photography/72886297]
Thanks, sorry for bad english. Sergio