[HOT] How to handle task edge areas correctly?

Nick Allen nick.allen.54 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:57:17 UTC 2015

Henri & all, especially any 'new mappers'

We need two things which sometimes are in conflict with each other.

1.  We're all part of a team, and we need to help each other without
causing offence. We all make mistakes, and it's nice to have someone
help us when we do - so validators, please consider putting links to
help pages when you are 'validating' - I've listed LearnOSM because I
know where they are, but there are other excellent resources such as
MapGive, tracing guides, quick start guides. LearnOSM has largely been
translated into numerous languages so you may consider sending the link
in a different language - select the feature in your editor, then press
'Ctrl+h' to see the history of the editing, which will tell you who did
it, rather than who updated Task Manager which is often different.
Always make sure the guide you are referring to has the same
instructions as the particular task/project, because they do vary.
     Mapping at the edge of a square
http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/remote/#initial-view---josm
     or http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/remote/#initial-view---id

     The highway network & more info about highways
http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/remote/#highways---how-to-map

     Residential boundary
http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/remote/#residential-boundaries

     Buildings, including round huts
http://learnosm.org/en/coordination/remote/#buildings-compounds-amp-barriers

2. The quality control for the particular project / task.

In you're particular case, I would finish my square & then log into that
adjacent square & correct the mistakes - but only if I am certain I am
correct, because otherwise it's very embarrassing!

& Henri - you're starting to think like a validator - please see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data
which was based upon work by Severin. If you are not ready to validate
yet, then you've made a good start because you've started to realise
what's needed.

I'm pleased to say I'm still learning - I spend part of my time learning
& part helping with the mapping. Its a big subject & I just hope we
don't lose everyone once this drops out of the news headlines. The Aid
Organisations (NGO's) are dealing with IDP's (Internally Displaced
Persons) all of the time and have a full time staff to do so - the need
for adequate mapping will not stop with Nepal.

Thanks & I hope to see more of your work in the future.

Regards

Nick (Tallguy)
tried to keep it brief, but didn't work!