[HOT] Starting on JOSM

Michael HeiƟmeier michael63 at digital-filestore.de
Tue Jan 13 20:37:13 UTC 2015

Hi Andrew,

welcome to OpenStreetMap as a fairly new contributor and to HOT in particular.
> I am just starting to do some plotting on task #591 - South Sudan Crisis,
> Cholera outbreak in Juba, mapping with WorldView-2 - task 38 and would welcome
> some checking and the answer to a couple of questions before I do too much
> abortive work.  The first question is, I guess, whether this is the correct
> forum into which to place this request.

Yes, this is the right place to ask such questions.

> In opening Task 38 I had assumed from the instructions that the preset image
> would be Worldview-2, but I notice from the offset database to which it is
> currently set that the name given is Digital Global - is this one and the same.

Yes.

> When I first started mapping I used iD editor and bling, which had a very
> clear image from which I also digitised some areas that appeared to be
> cultivated areas.  Although not asked for, these areas did provide some
> explanation for certain tracks.  When I converted to JOSM as loaded, on one
> occasion I moved the bling image to co-incide with my plotted items, and
> adjusted the placing of these areas. Are both of these actions valid?

Unless we have GPS traces available which can tell us more about the imagery
alignment our experience tells us that Bing (I assume this is what you are
talking about) has the best alignment. So you should always try to align any
other imagery (such as WorldView) with Bing unless the instructions tell you
something different. The instructions for this task specifically say that you
should align everything already mapped according to Bing images, then align the
WorldView imagery so that it matches this and finally map the remaining objects.

> Finally, the square that I am currently mapping was for the most part empty,
> accept in the southern end where a number of tracks and buildings had been
> entered at least 12 months ago.  These do not appear to have been on a
> particular offset, and are therefore considerably astray with the offset that
> I am using.  Am I justified in moving them, particularly in the light of the
> instruction information about the update of imagery.

It would help if you could tell us which square that is - you no longer locked it.

By the way - if you are not sure about the nature of an object do not place any
questions in the name tag, use the note tag for this purpose (such as with the
cultivated areas).

Keep mapping and asking!

Regards

--