[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Dec 5 15:34:21 UTC 2013

> 2013/12/4 Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com <mailto:gdt at ir.bbn.com>>
>
>     Thanks for the explanation.  Given that, village as admin_level=10
>     (or 9
>     if you want) sounds like exactly the right thing for me.
>     Perhaps rendering will need to catch up.

what i've seen of the places import from 2008 TIGER has cities, villages
and cdps
at admin level 8. i'm not claiming that's right, but it is what's out
there. i've ended
up putting NY towns in at 7, which i'm not entirely happy about.
counties in NY
are tiled by cities and towns, and villages are below towns (although
not always
completely contained in a single town.) i'd almost suggest a rethink,
although there
would be a bit of effort to actually change things afterwards.

>     This was interesting to read.  Villages as a political entity in
>     Vermont
>     seem far more firmly established than in Mass.
>

> admin_level and boundary=administrative are tags for administrative
> classification, don't confuse this with "place=village" as geographic
> class for a type of human settlements independent from administrative
> structure (they may coincide but they do not have to, there doesn't
> need to be a dedicated administrative entity for a settlement in order
> to merit a place tag).
a lot of these terms have defined meanings legally in the US, although
they vary
from state to state. towns and villages in NY are distinct, legal
entities, but hamlets
are just well recognized place names. if i cross the border into MA or
NJ, i see
changes in terminology and in governmental organization. there's not a
one size
fits all for the US.

richard