[Imports] OpenStreetMap: Correction and improved data for Fiji

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 13:33:46 UTC 2016

For info - this was a message received by the DWG that cc:ed the imports
list - that's why I'm reposting here from a subscribed address.  The
full original message is at the end.

Hi,

I thought I'd better reply since I didn't see a message drop onto the
imports list https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports - I'm
guessing you're not subscribed there.  The Data Working Group normally
deals with issues such as copyright and mapper dispute resolution, but
I'll try and help here.

 >  Is there any plan to correct and update OSM Fiji?

There are almost no top-level plans for updating anything within
OpenStreetMap.  Updates are made by individuals or small groups locally
or remotely.  Looking at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/history#map=9/-17.8285/177.3756 (and
ignoring those changes covering continental-sized areas) it appears that
there a few local users there.  You might be able to find more about
mapping in Fiji by contacting one or more of those people (click the
name then "Send Message").

 > Can we do a large-scale import of MapInfo data to correct and improve
completeness for Fiji,

That's something that you could do, subject to the data being (a) any
good and (b) being available under a compatible licence.  The procedure
for importing data is described at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines .  Note that it's a
colaborative process - you'll need to discuss your plans with the rest
of the community.

 > or is this something that needs to be manually corrected?

At the very least, I'd expect that newly imported boundaries would need
to be merged with the existing data in OSM.

 > For example, would we have to “ set up a source for users to manually
and selectively import from”

Something like that is also possible - here's an example:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Snapshot_Server .

 > Is there someone who can provide technical assistance?

Yes, I'm sure that there are lots of people.  I'd suggest asking for
help on the main "talk" list
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk (you'll need to
subscribe).  Do bear in mind however that almost everyone updating
OpenStreetMap is a volunteer, doing it in their free time - there is no
huge pool of employees to draw on.  Another site that you might find
useful is https://help.openstreetmap.org/ - that's useful for finding
the answers to "How do I do X" type questions.  Most "international
boundaries" discussion takes place over at
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=53173 (both German and
English, and I'm sure other languages, are understood there).

 > What would be the time frame that you recommend for a project such as
this? (there is a time sensitivity as
 > we need to launch U-Report Fiji in the coming months)

It's difficult to estimate without a real idea of the scope.  A similar
(but much larger) "boundaries merge" project was
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mexico's_Administrative_Divisions_Import_Project
, and that took a few months with (I'm guessing) 2 or 3 people on it
most of the time.  If you want to estimate the time taken for people to
reply to comments about imports on the imports@ or other lists, I'd
suggest that you have a look at the list history.  You mention HOT
elsewhere - I'd talk to them.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo so I am not sure how we
 > would go about getting “community support” for this.

I'd start with the main talk list I think, and by asking people that you
can see are editing or have edited in Fiji how they collaborate.  Some
local groups use mailing lists, some forums, some third-party mechanisms
such as Facebook, Google Groups, Slack, Telegram and others.  Also
consider asking on IRC (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IRC ) if
you want an immediate reply (perhaps #osm, where there are always people
or #hot, which can be a bit quiet).

Best Regards and good luck!

Andy Townsend, on behalf of OSM's Data Working Group.

PS:  I am subscribed to the "imports" list so my reply (and your message
below) will therefore go there.  It might be worth checking back later
to see if it gets any other replies.