[Imports] Fayetteville, AR Building Footprints Import

Michael Morisette michael.morisette at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 04:55:59 UTC 2017

Thanks to all for the guidance.

I've set up a Wiki page, as well as added this project to the import
catalog:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Fayetteville_Building_Footprints

In regards to the building classification, building=detached seems weird
to me as well, but it appears to be what the OSM guidelines call for:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Ddetached, sums this
up to be:

"A free-standing residential building usually housing a single-family.

Known as a /single-family home/ in the United States, a /single-detached
dwelling/ in Canada, and a /separate house/ in New Zealand.

If the building shares a wall with another building (forming half of a
semi-detached pair, or one of a row of terraced houses) then it should
be rather tagged building
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>=house
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dhouse>."

It seems like the typical house in the US is "detached", and the things
we call townhomes/rowhomes are "house" in OSM?  It's a bit strange to me
as well, but I understand that these are likely the more global terms
for these types of structures.

In regards to the imagery I'm using to check the footprints, it is the
"Fayetteville Current Imagery".  This is our most current imagery, flown
about a year ago:
http://gis.fayetteville-ar.gov/faygis/rest/services/BaseMaps/Aerial_Current_WGS84/MapServer