[Imports] Heads up: Building Canada 2020

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 18 22:49:22 UTC 2017

Note that in parallel to this thread, there were some threads already opened on Talk-Ca about this
2017-09-28 [Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 initiative

|  |
[Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 initiative

2017-10-18 [Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons

|  |
[Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons

I reacted to these threads saying how this is irrealistic because of license problems and yes the dimension of such a project. We are a small community and have other priorities.
As the Import list is concerned, I would be surprised that many Licenses obtained in a short time and concrete Import propositions being made.
The problem is more about Organizational mapping, and roles of the OSM community and the partners and thier interrelation. In this case, partners are taking the initiative, make publicity for mapathons, create a wiki page and place the Canada OSM community in an incomfortable situation. In september, I had to insist that the OSM community had not been previously informed of the presentation in Ottawa and this Initiative to add all buildings by 2020 with municipalities Building imports without prior licenses negociated !

We have seen often how the systematic mapathons organized are bringing a lot of «Instant contributors» that stay for a few hours, not well supported by organizers, those organizers not always with significative OSM experience. In the last talk-ca thread, MapBox takes the initiative to invite canadian universities to organize mapathons for the  OSMGeoWeek in november.

Good marketing. But to my point of view, the OSM Canada community should not be a subcontractor of external organizations that have a lot more capacities and budgets. We should instead stick to our priorities and the development of the community. And our role is not to repair the «broken jars».

Pierre

Pierre