[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Aug 20 09:26:05 UTC 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 08:42, Jim Brown wrote:

> Hi Peter (and Peter J ),
>
> Thanks for the comments.  I’d like to clarify the events over the
> last few weeks for people…  And explain why the bump this week in
> signups (which I think has been from a wider group than CloudMade,
> but I don’t have access to the lists to know).

Thanks

> I have been encouraging everyone I know, who is interested in maps,
> to join OSM and the OSMF.  This includes friends, co workers and
> suppliers…  Over the last week or so a number of people have
> indicated to me that they could not join because of either the lack
> of a credit card (in a couple cases) or the inability to authorize a
> Ukrainian card in PayPal (in most cases).  I told them they could
> register with my card if needed and that I’d do the transaction for
> them.  I did the transaction in one go which is why the one day bump.

The problem about paying for membership from the Ukraine is like to be
repeated around the world. Is this not a reason to allowing people to
join OSM by way of the 'sweat of the brow' as per various recent
discussions? Ettienne gives the official board's position on the
matter which is that things are ok as they stand but says "If the
community feels this is something that ought to be revisited then we
should."[1]

Do we believe that the issue of no-monetary membership should be
addressed before the next AGM? Incidentally, the concept of
'established user' would also be useful when counteracting vandalism
without unreasonably restricting editing rights for new users (ie new
users can edit features and add new features, but they can't move
whole towns or revert other people's changes until they get
'established').

I have created a 'proposals' section on the Foundation wiki page and
also a proposal for such a membership scheme. Please take a look and
add any comments to the section.[2]

> I’ve asked the people to then follow up with Mike C to be sure the
> membership records were correct (which I think most of them have
> done).  And I reached out to Mike as well to clarify what was going
> on.
>
> What these people do with their membership is up to them.  I have
> been adament that each time I encourage people to sign up, I make it
> clear that they are to vote exactly as they see fit.  I do not, in
> any way, direct their vote, nor do I want to know how they vote…
> What matters to me is having a strong, healthy organization.

Sounds good.

> I'd like to add that I completely agree with the comments about
> oversight and questioning being  important and that a sign of a
> healthy community is people caring about things like this – hence my
> desire for transparency.  And I take no offence at the questioning.
> I’ve tried to do what I can to strengthen OSM and OSMF and I’m happy
> to tell people about it.

It's curious that according to wordnik the word 'oversight' in English
can mean two completely opposite things (ie 'An unintentional omission
or mistake' or 'Watchful care or management; supervision') and the
following words can all be used in the same context:-
supervision
blunder
accountability
scrutiny
omission
guidance
enforcement
coordination
negligence
audit
mistake
leadership

I guess we want more of the leadership and guidance and scrutiny and
less of the mistake, blunder and omission ;)

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2009-August/000136.html
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation#Proposals

Regards,

Peter