[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should **NOT** Adopt a Code of Conduct

Andrew Matheny andrewdmatheny at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 23:31:18 UTC 2017

Michael (and all)

>Could you offer Stefan alternative ways to express his wish that Emily
gives examples/reasons? How should he ask her?

Part of the problem is that people who have been made to feel uncomfortable
are being asked to now make complaints in a public setting in an email list
that goes to everyone and takes replies from anyone. I didn't plan on
providing a specific example for that reason, and I can imagine that anyone
who has been personally affected probably doesn't want to invite that kind
of scrutiny if they feel they're in a hostile environment. (Not to mention
that I probably deleted the email chain months ago.)

This is exactly why the community needs a CoC and a neutral party that can
take a complaint from an affected person, investigate fairly while
protecting anonymity, and seek a response from the person who the complaint
is against.

How exactly that process works is something that should be hammered out as
part of drafting the policy itself.

Thanks,

Andrew

On Dec 3, 2017 5:09 PM, "Michael Reichert" <nakaner at gmx.net> wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Am 03.12.2017 um 23:56 schrieb Joseph Reeves:
> Look again at your email. Emily wrote:
>
>> but this space feels fraught with hostility and personal tensions
>> - some of which goes years back.
>
> In your response you asked for specific examples that Emily has suffered:
>
>> Can you pls. point to a mailing list post where you experienced
>> hostility and personal tensions?
>
> Without doubt you will have seen hostility and personal tension on the
list
> over the last couple of weeks. It would be impossible not to see that. But
> you've asked Emily for a specific instance relating to *her. *The point
is,
> the hostility and personal tension is discouraging to many people, whether
> or not it was directed specifically, and personally, towards themselves.
> Asking for someone to point out a specific instance that they have
suffered
> abuse is not OK, misses the point of Community Standards, and only
> threatens to worsen the situation.

Could you offer Stefan alternative ways to express his wish that Emily
gives examples/reasons? How should he ask her?

It is easy to point on someone else and claiming him to be <bad
attribute> but it is not constructive and helpful if you don't explain
how to make things better.

Best regards

Michael