[Osmf-talk] Communication style - moderation - CoC [was Re: Board members with similar background (was: 2018 a third episode...)}

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 06:56:43 UTC 2018

I purposely did not comment during the election period because honestly I'm
so tired of the same old lies and mistruths from the same people I just
want them to go away. I hoped that the OSM community had moved beyond
rewarding and humoring Nico. I don't even want acknowledge Nico and his
ilk. I'd rather subtweet about it to my friends on twitter than give him
the time of day. He has already wasted so much of so many peoples energy
and driven away so many well intentioned people from the OSM community.

There is no culture of violence or whatever terrible term Nico is using
these days in HOT. There is a fantastic community of mappers helping one
another around the world to make a better map. We help and support others
in an open and honest way. We aren't trying to be the only group doing
humanitarian mapping. In my opinion, HOT does more work to support local
mapping groups than any other organization or group within OSM.

What Nico and other like him can't get over is that his failures with HOT
were due to his poor job performance (which I saw first hand before joining
the HOT membership), his inability to move on, and people's blind cultural
hatred towards humanitarian mapping. Frankly speaking, no one in HOT even
pays attention to Nico or his annual hate spewing during the OSM elections.
We've seen him operate in the same terrible ways for years. He and other
aligned with him strove to destroy our community. Eventually, collectively,
we realized who he is, just a man shouting on the corner into the oblivion.
We do not try and keep him from doing his work. In fact we often provide
support to communities Nico himself has helped get off the ground through
micro grants of only and equipment. Not once in our history has a situation
arose that resulted in a CoC finding where the original spark of the event
didn't originate with Nico or Severin. Both of whom where dismissed from
HOT one from employment for poor performance and the other from the board
for violating board duties. The fact that either have any audience in the
OSM membership is disturbing to many who've seen their poor performance
first hand.

I don't care to get into a debate about who cares about OSM, its stupid. I
believe we are all here to make a better map. The world and the map are
huge and complex, we need everyone to make an open map happen. I'm really
very tired of the humanitarian mappers are bad for OSM. I and others, am
not just defined by my time teaching others about the power and awesomeness
that is open data. I add my local coffee shops, add new neighborhood roads,
clean up tiger deserts, and use OSM daily. Just because I also believe in
helping mapping communities form and believe in remote mapping doesn't make
me or others like me believe less in OSM. In fact it might be the other way
around. I risked putting my job on the line because of my beliefs in open
data and a better map.

It is never acknowledged by those that spew hate towards humanitarian
focused groups is that HOT, other humanitarian mapping groups, and
companies are all trying to create *more* *local mappers everywhere*. We
have an amazing community, backed by a great organization and partners,
that has allowed us to build better OSM tools, foster actual local
communities, and advocate for OSM. Can humanitarian intiated mapping get
better, yes. You don't see any of us saying that we are perfect. You
usually don't see any of us talking about the imbalance of the OSMF board
and working groups against humanitarian mappers. We just want an OSMF that
supports *all mappers *from whatever community they are from. We want an
OSM community that stops supporting and listening to those that don't
actually want a better map. Can we as a community please stop the continued
complaints and unfounded hate towards a group of dedicated mappers to
mapping areas that the "real" OSM community didn't actually care enough
about to map for the first 14 years of the project.

Can we please stop this annual hate and vitriol from Nico toward HOT and
members of this community? We as a community should force people like Nico
that only seek to divide us and hurt others away. We as community should
adopt a Code of Conduct, not because we want to moderate individuals but
because some people's speech and actions are so terrible it should not be
welcomed. A Code of Conduct is not a weapon it is a compact. As implemented
by HOT our CoC is a compact between people that civility, honesty, and
grace are the basic principles we believe in. That we should believe others
have the best intent but hold each other accountable for actions that hurt
others.

My advice is to stop listening to Nico, put his emails on permanent delete
status as I have and go map something. Both your day and OSM will be better
for it.

sent from my mobile device

Dale Kunce