[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Dominik Danelski dominik at danelski.pl
Thu Dec 10 15:59:28 UTC 2020

Hello,

As you are an active contributor to this draft I would like to ask you a
questions regarding the meaning of some passages taken from it just to
confirm that we are on the same page:

"Power dynamics in OSM are controlled by a dominant contributor profile:
white, Western and male. This power dynamic leads to a communication
style which includes misogynistic, hostile, targeting, doxing,
unfriendly, competitive, intimidating, patronising messaging" - do you
claim that these highlighted problems with community dynamic are
inherently caused by these three traits of the contributors?

"The “do-ocracy” prioritises people of privilege; such as those with
spare time, senior positions, confidence, access to technology, and
fluency in English, amongst others. This approach is actively
counterproductive to the diversity and inclusion agenda" - do you
advocate for diversity in an ultimate goal of creating a better map or
is pursuing diversity and inclusion agenda a sufficient goal on its own?

"many OSM spaces are characterised by white male superiority and toxic
meritocracy" - could you give me the examples of what does constitute of
such behaviour, especially the second one? Not in broad terms, rather
some examples what it does look like in the OSM landscape.

In the spirit of a healthy discussion I ask every participant not to
publicly assume my intentions for asking these questions at least
without answering them: overheated debates do not serve a goal of
reaching consensus.

Kind regards

Dominik Danelski