[Strategic] Meta-SWG

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 19:00:36 GMT 2011


Steven, our meetings are intended to be every week on Thursday. And I'll be 
sending out notification two days prior to the meeting.

 == Mikel Maron ==
+254(0)724899738 @mikel s:mikelmaron
http://mapkibera.org/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Haiti




________________________________
From: Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com>
To: strategic at openstreetmap.org
Sent: Fri, January 21, 2011 9:39:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meta-SWG

I would like to be more active in the strategic WG but I find that I am often 
only getting notice of meetings at a day's notice which makes it difficult to 
schedule time when travelling.

Could be plan less frequent calls/meetings and publish times further in advance?

steven


_____________________

Steven Feldman
_____________________
KnowWhere Consulting

m: +44 (0) 7958 924 101
w:  knowwhere
t:   @StevenFeldman

On 21 Jan 2011, at 12:00, strategic-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:

> Send Strategic mailing list submissions to
>     strategic at openstreetmap.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>     http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/strategic
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>     strategic-request at openstreetmap.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>     strategic-owner at openstreetmap.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Strategic digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT (Richard Weait)
>   2. Re: Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT (Chris Fleming)
>   3. Re: Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT (Grant Slater)
>   4. Meta-SWG (Richard Weait)
>   5. Re: Meta-SWG (Mikel Maron)
>   6. Re: Meta-SWG (Milo van der Linden)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:03:49 -0500
> From: Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>
> To: Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>
> Cc: strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTingpnvYKx4A90NVuTTpU+YAmr-VQyTmsX=CFZmw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey
>> 
>> We're due to meet tomorrow on IRC, #osm-strategic
> 
> You mean, right now.
> 
> Anybody else going to join in today?
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:05:26 +0000
> From: Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org>
> To: Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>
> Cc: strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT
> Message-ID: <4D384F36.3000901 at chrisfleming.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> On 20/01/11 15:03, Richard Weait wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Mikel Maron<mikel_maron at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> Hey
>>> 
>>> We're due to meet tomorrow on IRC, #osm-strategic
>> You mean, right now.
>> 
>> Anybody else going to join in today?
>> 
> Trying to get on but don't seem to be able to connect, anyone know of a 
> web irc gateway?
> 
> Cheers
> Chris
> 
> -- 
> e: me at chrisfleming.org
> w: www.chrisfleming.org
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:08:11 +0000
> From: Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com>
> To: Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org>
> Cc: strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meeting tomorrow January 20, 3pm GMT
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTinHwNgtvY8jB+nxtbvSTvp=dW7X7+hZr_KmWV1c at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> On 20 January 2011 15:05, Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Anybody else going to join in today?
>>> 
>> Trying to get on but don't seem to be able to connect, anyone know of a web
>> irc gateway?
>> 
> 
> http://irc.openstreetmap.org/
> 
> Regards
> Grant
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:28:13 -0500
> From: Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>
> To: strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Strategic] Meta-SWG
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTimY4en-peELSdPo_gGUi3LthaUB3C_4sv7X4CtU at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
> We've been casual about organization of SWG to this point and I think
> that this is a good time to get a little more formal.  After all, if
> we are going to provide resources for the OSMF, surely we should go
> about that in a way that assures OSMF and other WGs that they can rely
> upon us.
> 
> Things that we can improve:
> 
> 1) SWG has only one formal member.
> 2) Two of our four most recent meetings have made no progress on agenda items.
> 3) Deliverables from recent meetings have gone unaddressed during
> subsequent meetings.
> 
> Suggestions for discussion:
> 
> a) Formalize membership, provide guidelines for attendance
> expectations and for notice when attendance is not possible.  Perhaps
> two unexcused absences should lead to removal from SWG membership?
> 
> b) Provide guidelines for how many and which members should be in
> attendance for a meeting.  Must the chair be in attendance?  Must a
> board member be in attendance?  How many members / what percentage of
> the membership?
> 
> c) What policy should we adopt regarding deliverables?  It should
> recognize that SWG want to be reliable to OSMF, other WGs and
> ultimately the OSM community, but it should also recognize that SWG
> members are volunteers.  Do deliverables have deadlines?  How do we
> back each other up and continue to serve the community when "Real Life
> Stuff" gets in the way for one member or another?
> 
> d) What would make SWG more effective?
> 
> Best regards,
> Richard
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:52:52 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>
> To: Richard Weait <richard at weait.com>, strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meta-SWG
> Message-ID: <68691.37259.qm at web161605.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Agreed, this is a good time to solidify how we work. And sorry for my absence 
> today, just plain blankness of mind, no excuse.
> 
> 
>> Suggestions for discussion:
>> 
>> a) Formalize membership, provide guidelines for attendance
>> expectations and for notice when attendance is not possible.  Perhaps
>> two unexcused absences should lead to removal from SWG membership?
> 
> Thoughts:
> - we need current informal members to state they want to be formal members.
> - joining the group has criteria of foundation membership? anything else? is 
> there an optimal size? honestly, i think we can keep this simple as possible, 
> and just use best judgement
> - we'll need a secretary role to record absences and excuses.
> - that removal policy keeps it simple. we should also allow people back if they 
>
> recommit
> 
>> b) Provide guidelines for how many and which members should be in
>> attendance for a meeting.  Must the chair be in attendance?  Must a
>> board member be in attendance?  How many members / what percentage of
>> the membership?
> 
> So far from the Board, Henk and myself have been involved. I do think someone 
> from the Board should be in attendance.
> 
>> c) What policy should we adopt regarding deliverables?  It should
>> recognize that SWG want to be reliable to OSMF, other WGs and
>> ultimately the OSM community, but it should also recognize that SWG
>> members are volunteers.  Do deliverables have deadlines?  How do we
>> back each other up and continue to serve the community when "Real Life
>> Stuff" gets in the way for one member or another?
> 
> Deliverables have had deadlines so far. If deadlines aren't met, it happens 
>with 
>
> volunteers,
> the group needs to quickly respond and reassign tasks if necessary.
> 
>> d) What would make SWG more effective?
> 
> Thanks for pushing this Richard.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/attachments/20110120/e096ca4f/attachment-0001.html>
>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:28:16 +0100
> From: Milo van der Linden <milo at dogodigi.net>
> To: Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>
> Cc: strategic at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Strategic] Meta-SWG
> Message-ID:
>     <AANLkTikpOxTF+FReEh909znFYrV_Lxap2Udo_tbQDObc at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Another sorry here, I too wish I could have made it.
> 
> I hereby state that I want to formally join. Mikel, I assume you will serve
> as chair?
> 
> I also strongly suggest other working groups to also publish a clear chair
> on the working group webpage as stated during earlier conversations, it is
> good to know who to talk to if you need a statement of whatever kind from
> one of the working groups.
> 
> 2011/1/20 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>
> 
>> Agreed, this is a good time to solidify how we work. And sorry for my
>> absence today, just plain blankness of mind, no excuse.
>> 
>>> Suggestions for discussion:
>>> 
>>> a) Formalize membership, provide guidelines for attendance
>>> expectations and for notice when attendance is not possible.  Perhaps
>>> two unexcused absences should lead to removal from SWG membership?
>> 
>> Thoughts:
>> - we need current informal members to state they want to be formal members.
>> - joining the group has criteria of foundation membership? anything else?
>> is there an optimal size? honestly, i think we can keep this simple as
>> possible, and just use best judgement
>> - we'll need a secretary role to record absences and excuses.
>> - that removal policy keeps it simple. we should also allow people back if
>> they recommit
>> 
>> 
>>> b) Provide guidelines for how many and which members should be in
>>> attendance for a meeting.  Must the chair be in attendance?  Must a
>>> board member be in attendance?  How many members / what percentage of
>>> the membership?
>> 
>> So far from the Board, Henk and myself have been involved. I do think
>> someone from the Board should be in attendance.
>> 
>> 
>>> c) What policy should we adopt regarding deliverables?  It should
>>> recognize that SWG want to be reliable to OSMF, other WGs and
>>> ultimately the OSM community, but it should also recognize that SWG
>>> members are volunteers.  Do deliverables have deadlines?  How do we
>>> back each other up and continue to serve the community when "Real Life
>>> Stuff" gets in the way for one member or another?
>> 
>> Deliverables have had deadlines so far. If deadlines aren't met, it happens
>> with volunteers,
>> the group needs to quickly respond and reassign tasks if necessary.
>> 
>> 
>>> d) What would make SWG more effective?
>> 
>> Thanks for pushing this Richard.
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Strategic mailing list
>> Strategic at openstreetmap.org
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/strategic
>> 
>> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/attachments/20110120/a59e60ce/attachment-0001.html>
>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Strategic mailing list
> Strategic at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/strategic
> 
> 
> End of Strategic Digest, Vol 8, Issue 7
> ***************************************


_______________________________________________
Strategic mailing list
Strategic at openstreetmap.org
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/strategic
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/strategic/attachments/20110125/96e55205/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Strategic mailing list